Saturday 23 January 2016

CRAIG ERICKSON – Sky Train Galaxy (CD)


I discovered Craig Erickson already back in 1992 when I bought his album Roudhouse Stomp!. I loved his cool vocals and fierce guitar playing from day one, and it hasn’t changed. He’s one of those guys that never ceases to deliver high quality stuff. Well, opener The Comeback just proved he’s done it again. An awesome, stonking, punchy rocker with balls the size of a wrecking ball. But, what really blew my mind was his phenomenal cover of Deep Purple’s Getting Tighter/Ode To T (yes, T, not G), which is just plain classic. The times when I think a cover actually is better than the original is as rare as an ice cream man on Antarctica, but Craig actually does. It’s without doubt one of my favourite tracks of 2015! In Time (Never Enough) Craig delivers fill after fill and solo after solo with his highly recognizable slinky and bluesy style. Illusions of the World gives me vibes of another favourite artist of mine, namely Robin Trower. Craig has the same cool soulful style and same tasteful way to fit in cool guitar licks around the vocals with out one clashing with the other. Oustanding! I may be partial since Grooveyard is releasing some of my stuff as well, but I must say that this label really picks some outstanding artists and releases some top quality albums! Craig Erickson, Jay Jesse Johnson, Brett Ellis, Martin J Andersen, Johnny Hunkins etc etc. The list is as long as Billy Gibbons’ beard. This is no standard blues rock album. You’ll find a variety of styles and sounds hidden in the mix and it really makes for an album you come back to over and over and never get tired of.
Janne Stark
Country: USA
Year: 2015

Label: Grooveyard Records

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're welcome to comment, but I reserve the right to remove any comments without notice.