Tuesday 23 October 2012

PETER MARTINSSON GROUP – Guitar State Of Mind (CD)


 
I found Swedish guitarist Peter Martinsson when googling his old 70s/80s band Plebb. I found Peter had not only continued playing guitar, but also become one hell of a player! Now his first solo album has finally hit the streets. What you find here is an outstanding collection of instrumental guitar music, ranging from heavy rock to blues to folky rock to countryish playing. Peter is an outstanding, versatile guitarist, who at times remind me of the outstanding Thomas Larsson. Songs like Groove In My Backyard draws a bit towards vintage Joe Satriani, while Shoot makes me think of Greg Koch wacky blues rock. Made It is a cool melodic thing with a slight folky touch. I can’t continue without mentioning Peter’s outstanding musicians, bassist Per-Martin Pettersson and drummer Ulf Becker, who really know how to groove. In J.M.H (which I guess stands for James Marshall Hendrix) he does show some Hendrixy overtones, but I actually come to think more of Stevie Ray Vaughan, who of course was influenced by J.M.H. Besides playing some really mean licks and being a crazy good player, Peter can also write great songs. These are no guitar wanking backgrounds, but actually great songs with melodies that can hold their own and riffs that really rock! Speaking of Greg Koch, the solo in Walk With Me reminds me a bit of his style in the way he explores scales that really raises your eyebrow. I love it when people push it outside the box and make it sound crazy and cool. Guitar State Of Mind is true guitar mojo of the highest order! Get it!
Janne Stark
Country: Sweden
Year: 2012
Label: Grooveyard Records

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're welcome to comment, but I reserve the right to remove any comments without notice.